Thursday, March 6, 2008

how to be generous?

I like these examples and I remember the ending of Sam's story - I remember hearing that one at Cafenighta while back. The things is - the people in that story are not villians or the kind of villians Rick is talking about, at least not to my mind, right? The incest is in there, sure, but the character all this has happened to is not powerless - she's not a six year oldgirl who has no clue what's happening to her - she's a grown woman who's dealt with her life in the way that everybody has to.And through this event all the people involved do find some kind of mercy - the whole thing is generous. It's not probing incest becauseoh yeah incest is interesting, moral ambiguity is interesting. And it's not telling a story with characters who are not generous.Maybe it's a story about characters who remember how to be generous? I don't know what else to say about it yet.

[originally posted by Elizabeth Wagner]

No comments: